Wednesday, 13 January 2016

Generating Ideas for Digipak

In order to get an idea of how I wanted  my digipak to look, I generated some ideas from already existing digipaks. These included the Lana Del Rey 'Honeymoon' album, Katy Perry 'California Girls' and the XX. In this research, I included what I particularly liked about the album and how it conforms to the genres conventions. 
Designing the font for the band name required me to generate some ideas first before choosing the final idea for the font. I experimented with a range of text and styles. I overlapped parts of the font for some of the ideas and I enlarged parts as apposed to other parts of the font. For example, the IV in the band name was always kept big in order to stand out and be the focal part of the band logo. While the 'the' and 'th' in IVth remained small throughout, as it helped to accompany the logo as a whole. It wasn't too cramped or overcrowded. The design I chose had a V inside a bigger V. I thought this was a very simplistic yet effective design as it would be memorable as the V itself can stand on its own for advertising purposes.
I generated some ideas for the writing for the word 'Animal'. Some ideas that I came up with include blade like fonts, exaggerated writing and the use of a darkening effect to make each letter stand out on its own. I wanted the word 'animal' to be exaggerated, but at the same time have some correlation to the font of the band name. Therefore I chose a triangular font style which links with the triangle used in 'the IVths' V.

No comments:

Post a Comment